Friday, March 16, 2012

Spring Cleaning

OMGosh!  2004!  That was the last time I THOROUGHLY cleaned my pantry!!!!!  Thing is....it didn't make my life any easier....it made it far more complicated than I could imagine!

In the back of the pantry were very old cans that had swelled and leaked.  (Ewwww).  Which also warped the shelf.  So after cleaning everything I asked the Hubby to please rebuild just that one shelf.  No...he's going to rebuild the bottom one too.  OK....but when he removes it there is yuckiness under it!  The cabinet had actually started to disintegrate.  At this time I was think that all the damage was from those damn exploded cans...but now he decided to rip out the whole cabinet.  MOLD!  Halfway up the two walls that the cabinet sits against. 

Well my pantry cabinet happens to sit behind the same wall that my master bathroom tub sits.  I guess for the last 19 years said tub has been leaking!  And destroying my walls and cabinets.  So a little 1 day project of cleaning out the pantry (I filled the whole trashcan!!!!) has become a major project to rebuild the whole thing. 

So now all my food sits out in the open on the sideboard.  Just at eye and hand level for all my grandkids.....Nana can I have......?????? 

I feel bad for all the expired food I had to throw out.  I am never going to have so much food that it is forgotten again.  I need to just buy for what I need this week and not stockpile.  There are only two of us in this house (most of the time) and I don't need to keep buying as if I was feeding four male teenagers.  That is a hard thing to reprogram yourself to do though!

Lot's of other cabinets cleaned....lots more to go.  Then I get new countertops to go along with my new appliances, new paint and new floors.  This 19 year old house is getting a facelift!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me your comments and/or questions.